• Content editing • News reporting • Feature writing • Social media
• Copy-editing • Managing teams • Storytelling • Headlines
• Big-picture thinking • WordPress • Newsletters • Proofreading
• Reconceptualize and expand the Art & Entertainment section of Bay City News Foundations's nonprofit Local News Matters to spotlight work by artists in underrepresented communities and creative responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Relaunch the Remember When history section with diversity and inclusion in mind.
• Recruit and manage a team of freelancers to write for these features sections.
• Manage four features sections total, including Bay City Books and Inspire Me, which focuses on uplifting human-interest pieces.
• Write and edit Local News Matters' weekly news and arts & culture newsletters.
Dec. '20-July '21
Sunday news swing shift editor
• Report, write and edit breaking news for hundreds of clients of Bay City News wire service.
• Helped create and shape the editorial vision for an online magazine that put the history of objects into social, cultural and political contexts.
• Wrote buzz-generating long-form articles on everything from hula dolls to vigilante masks and ugly couches to the history of black dolls, which regularly garnered 10,000+ UPVs.
• Performed content editing, copy-editing, web layout, photo editing; managed freelancers.
• Managed social media; brought Facebook followers from 1,000 to nearly 50,000.
• Wrote previews, interviews, articles and reviews on the creative culture in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Freelance columnist and features writer
• Created and wrote Clubland column to explore the scenes at underground events and offbeat parties, which were not previously covered by the newspaper.
• Wrote features, often section-fronts, about trends, music and women's issues for Datebook, Style and Home & Garden sections.
• Did interviews, edited sound clips and hosted podcasts on the Bay Area music scene.
Features desk copy editor
• Served as the Sunday copy chief, managed the editing and output of a daily entertainment section, signing off on all the final copy and display type.
• Worked closely with section editor to oversee the production of the Sunday Style section.
• Copy-edited arts & entertainment, books, food, travel, lifestyles and home & garden copy and worked with writers on changes.
• Wrote headlines, teasers, decks and captions, including an award-winning headline.
• Designed pages on the pagination system.
On-call Front Page producer
• Managed the live Yahoo front page, posting and taking down articles to keep the Featured module fresh and up-to-date.
• Wrote and produced teaser packages on news and lifestyles that drove millions of clicks.
Managing editor of Flavorpill San Francisco
• Curated the content of a weekly email newsletter that recommended the best cultural events in the San Francisco Bay Area to 28,000-plus subscribers.
• Edited and wrote 100-word items on music, DJs, art, comedy, theater, dance and fashion.
• Managed a mostly volunteer staff; coordinated with producers in New York City online.
• Wrote about the life of a San Francisco high school student, through her freshman year and most of her sophomore year.
• Worked on other features for the magazine.
• Wrote general assignment stories and features to flesh out issues throughout the week.
• Covered the police and city beats for Saturday and Sunday issues.
• Proofread Sunday pages.
Contract proofreader for Apple and more
• Trusted to proofread direct-marketing emails for Apple, Inc., on an as-needed basis.
• Proofread promotional blogs, help-wanted ads, white papers and presentations for other companies like California Bank & Trust and Traction itself.
Winters, 2007-2008, 2008-2009
Managing editor, travelogue contests produced for Starwood Hotels
• Read hundreds of 100-word essays, narrowed down contestant pools, discussed final winners with top editors and hotel promotions staff.
• Gave winners instructions on blogging and snapping photographs while traveling to Paris, Shanghai, Monaco, Vienna and Miami.
• Edited content, worked with winners on rewrites, wrote headlines and display type and selected photos.
• Researched and rewrote descriptive chapters on eight San Francisco neighborhoods for the 2009 edition. Also researched and rewrote listings chapters on nightlife, festivals, galleries, shopping and hotels.
Glamour, Teen Vogue, Yahoo! News, Jezebel, Bust, Intersection, Bitch Media, Ms. Magazine, Gizmodo, Mental Floss, The Mini International, Venus Zine, The SFist, D.I.W., Swingset, West Coast Performer, The Smithsonian, Zócalo Public Square, The Houston Chronicle, KTVU.com
THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA
• Graduated with special distinction with a bachelor’s degree in news communication from the H.H. Herbert School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
• Seven-semester staff reporter and editor of award-winning Oklahoma Daily student newspaper.
• Internships at The Dallas Morning News and The Norman Transcript.
• Received first place in general feature writing at Columbia Scholastic Press Association's Gold Circle Awards.
• Selected for the American Society of Magazine Editors' internship program.
• Named Oklahoma Daily Journalist of the Year.
• Selected to participate in the Oklahoma Summer Arts Institute in poetry.